Here is a small guide to introduce you to Vielle-Saint-Girons (in Gascon: Viela-Sent Gironç) and help you prepare your camping holiday: accommodation, transport, services and shops, beaches, entertainment, tourist discovery of the area, etc.
The three towns: Vielle - Saint-Girons - Saint-Girons Plage
Located in the west of the Landes department (40), in the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region, Vielle-Saint-Girons is a commune of 1225 inhabitants: the Vieillois and Saint-Gironnais. It belongs to the community of communes "Côte Landes Nature" and extends over three towns:
- Vielle: the lake
- Saint-Girons-en-Marensin: the administrative centre of the commune
- Saint-Girons Plage: the seaside resort
Vielle St Girons is a well-known seaside resort on the Landes coast, bordered to the west by 17 km of beach. The commune has 5 supervised beaches during the summer (the one at St-Girons from 1 June to 30 September).
- The 2 beaches of Saint Girons Plage: 13 km of fine sand between the Cap de l'Homy to the north and the wild beach of the Lette Blanche to the south,
- The wild beach of the Lette Blanche, in Vielle (direction Pichelèbe),
- The naturist beach of Arnaoutchot, in Vielle (towards Pichelèbe),
- La plage du Lac, in Vielle (north of the Etang de Léon).
PRACTICE: during the summer period, a shuttle bus network serves the Communauté de communes Côte Landes Nature linking the towns to the beaches.
Sports facilities and cycle paths
Vielle-Saint-Girons is a dynamic tourist town with numerous sports facilities spread throughout its territory.
- Sports complex, route de Pichelèbe: fronton (pelota), skate park with bowl, fitness equipment.
- In the town of Vielle: fitness trail near the entertainment area at the lake, route de Merle.
- In the town of Saint-Girons: municipal tennis court.
Shops & Services
- Bakeries, pastry shops
- Bars and restaurants
- Medical services (doctor, pharmacy, nurses...)
Where to shop?
- The mini-market of the Eurosol campsite, 40560 Saint-Girons Plage, website : our campers can find all the products they need to do their shopping, without having to take the car or leave the campsite.
- Casino shop: 4259 Route de la Plage, 40560 Vielle-Saint-Girons
- Super U and drive (10 km): Impasse Morlaes, 40170 Lit-et-Mixe
Throughout the year, take advantage of the Landes markets to discover the regional products of the South West:
- Saint-Girons market: Saturday mornings, all year round, from 9am to 12pm, Place Jean Barbe (former town hall)
- Saint-Girons Plage market: in July and August, on Sunday mornings, from 8am to 1pm, Les Barcottes car park. Nocturnes in July and August, on Tuesday evenings, from 5pm to 10pm.
La Sauveté de Saint-Girons: stone column (11th century)
- The filtering well of Saint-Girons: first filtering well in the Landes (1856)
- The church of Saint-Eutrope de Vielle and the church of Notre-Dame de Saint-Girons
- The colonial-style bungalow, known as Maison Boulart (19th century, listed building)
Places to visit around Vielle Saint-Girons :
- the beach of the Lette Blanche in Vielle-Saint-Girons
- the beach of Cap de l'Homy in Lit et Mixe
- Adrénaline Parc, the biggest tree climbing park in Aquitaine (Moliets-et-Maa)
- Lake Léon and the Courant d'Huchet nature reserve
- and many other exceptional places to discover on our Landes guide!
How to get to Vielle and Saint-Girons?
In the heart of the Landes department, on the Atlantic coast, Vielle-Saint-Girons is located halfway between the Bassin d'Arcachon and the Basque Country.
By car :
From Paris follow the A10 towards Bordeaux, then take the A63 towards Bayonne / San Sebastien, exit 12 Dax/Moliets-et-Maa/Vielle-Saint-Girons/Léon, follow Castets.
By train :
On arrival or departure from Dax and Bayonne stations by TGV. The nearest SNCF station is DAX (35 km). From Paris Montparnasse, you arrive at Dax station with the TGV Atlantique in 3h20.
By plane :
Bordeaux airport: 140 km - Biarritz airport: 75 km.